Wednesday 16 June 2010

The Secret to Success - Pt.1

Another hard-fought win just over the border in Leicestershire last night. The Beer Leg in particular went to the wire, with a little bit of luck swinging the result the Red Lion way. It's now 'Played 7, won 6'. Woo-Hoo!

Whilst it would be true to say that Red Lion stalwarts Jo, John and Kev were the high-scoring stars of the evening, I feel I must highlight my own crucial role in the success of the team. I don't think it would be too much of an exaggeration to say the successful outcome of last nights game was largely the result of my own humble position in the team. Oh yes! Credit where credit's due, I played a blinder. A steady, solid performance at the bar, combined with morale-boosting support for our team mates at the table. A cool head throughout the match, my concentration rarely wavered from start to nail-biting finish. What a performance!

You'll probably have guessed by now that I was unceremoniously dropped from the team last night...

I knew it was coming. You really can't play with such a combination of 'gross mediocrity' and 'total lack of consistency' (Kev's words, not mine) without the prospect of being (ahem!) 'rested'. Fair play to team captain Fiona 'Still a bit Hungover from Sunday' Barby, who's ruthless hacking and slashing of the team over the last few months have gotten us where we are today. When asked to comment on the current team selection, Fiona said '...it's my ruthless Hacking & Slashing of the team that's got us where we are today...' before putting a large cross against my name for showing dissent.

Anyway. Practice! Practice! Practice! That's the game plan. With practice comes improvement. With practice comes the chance of redemption. With practice comes the opportunity to try more of the Red Lion's ex-Beer Festival stock... I'm committed, I'm determined, I'm ready to force my way back into the Red Lion Tuesday 'B' Skittles Team. 'I must, I must, Improve my Thrust; I must, I must....'

Beer Report:

The Shoulder of Mutton resides in the pretty village of Great Bowden. The village is home to a couple of pubs, a tidy village green, an expensive Deli, and the kennels of the Fernie Hunt hounds. I think you get the picture...

Marstons Pedigree and Black Sheep Bitter are the usual offerings at the Shoulder of Mutton, both of which were in good nick. There's usually a Guest Beer too. We'd just missed Fullers London Pride by the looks of it (no great loss for me, I'm not too keen on London brown beers), but ready to come on was something more interesting from a Derby micro. What it was I'll never know, as it still wasn't pouring by the time we left for home. C'est La Vie.

Next (Away) Match: Catholic Club 'B', Market Harborough (22nd June)

No comments:

Post a Comment